Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Adventures in Amish Country

Well, we are already 5 days into December, and I still have so many fall happenings that I didn't get to share.  Now that I am working 40 hours a week on a constantly changing schedule, updating my posts has fallen to the bottom of my priority list, along with running, working on my play and practicing guitar.  I have, however, been visiting family, getting ready for Christmas, going out with friends and spending time with the hubby.  Not a bad way to spend my time off.

But before I dive into the Christmas season, I want to share some more fun autumn experiences!  One great experience we had was our first trip to Amish country and our first time at a pumpkin patch.  In Arthur, IL about an hour south of where we live, there is a farm in a predominantly Amish community known as The Great Pumpkin Patch.  Robert and I went back in October and we had a wonderful time.


It was a beautiful, sunny, breezy fall day.  We started the day by going to church, then we began our drive through the Illinois countryside.  The leaves were turning, the crops were being harvested, and time seemed to slow down.  Taking this wholesome, relaxing trip during the fall really got me thinking about how beautiful this life is, and all of the things I am thankful for.

 Beautiful fall trees near University of Illinois campus
  So vibrant!
 The adorable downtown of Arthur
 Horse and buggy!
 Lots of people want to visit the Pumpkin Patch
 Look at how much fun!
 Robert's picking out his pumpkin
 Haunted barn!
 Checking out the Indian corn
 Such a fantastic day
 Pumpkins everywhere!
 I love all the color
 Bunny!!!
 I love spending the day with my honey
 Awesome floral pattern
 Pumpkin and chocolate ice cream!
 YUMMMMM
 Native American re-enactor
 Lovely water feature
 So handsome
 Pumpkins as far as the eye can see!
 Corn field maze
 Baa baa
 Goofy lookin' roof chickens
 Noah's ark...with pumpkins!
 Find Robert's head!
 19th century school house
 Inside the renovated one room school house
 HUGE pumpkin!
 Aww little lamb
 A llama and a turkey, the best of friends
 One of the three little piggies
 There houses of straw, sticks and bricks!
 My man toting around our mum and pumpkins
 Amish ladies riding their bikes on this lovely day
The delicious treats we bought from the Homestead Bakery: black bean salsa, raspberry salsa, chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and pumpkin bread.  Delish!

I loved getting to spend the day with the man I love, enjoy nature and the gorgeous weather, and learn a little more about the farming community of the Midwest.  From the cute farm animals to the pumpkin-based treats, it was great fun celebrating the sights, sounds, smells and tastes of fall in the country.  I couldn't help but think of how much my nieces and nephews would love it there.  I also couldn't help but think of how one day, we'll bring our own children to a pumpkin patch to pick out their own little pumpkins for our home.

Every new adventure Robert and I have here in the Prairie State, whether large or small, we are creating memories that we will always have to look back on, no matter where life takes us.  Our pumpkin adventure in Amish country was just another to add to our list.  There are many more places to explore while we are in the Midwest and after our time here is done, who knows?!  Life is just a bunch of crazy adventures, and I can't wait for more to come!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! : ) I like your blog! :)

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete